Is my Hair not Good Enough??!!


I wasn’t too sure if I should write about this or not so I decided to wait until I had calmed down a bit and could type the information without saying wtf every other sentence.
I overheard a conversation between 2 ladies concerning natural hair (well it’s not like they were talking soft anyways). So they both have straight hair however one is currently transitioning. Now the one with the straight hair leans over and tells the transitioner that she needs to get a perm to fix her hair. Yep, she said to “fix” her hair.

This lady was very confident in explaining about how she likes the way her natural hair looks growing in and she is thinking about going natural. However, slowly throughout the conversation the comments were “Does my hair look that bad?” and “ Really, you think it looks like that?” Now the chica with the perm is busy telling her friend how rough her hair looks and that her hair was not “good hair” since it wasn’t curly enough. She said, “You need to have curly hair for that to look good.” Now this young lady said this with such conviction that I was shocked. She then further points to another woman saying that you need to have hair like her’s for your hair to look good natural… Now I know for a fact that the lady she pointed to has in a texturizer. Then this lovely lady looks over at my hair and says “No!” with a dismayed look.

Now , here I am on the side minding my own business (mostly) and here I just get blind sided with this. I thought my hair was fab and I was rocking my little twist out in my twa and this lovely lady here just decides to tell me that my hair isn’t good enough. Was I upset? Bet you’re A double-s I was. But this made me think, is this something that you say to your friend? I mean this lady instead of listening to her friend and offering words of encouragement or trying to see where she was coming from just decides to put her down. Telling her to go and fix the problem and go perm her hair. The whole irony of this is that the chic that is offering this advice has permed hair and admits that she knows nothing about natural hair. Now this is my question… Was it necessary to bring down her confidence by doing that?

Why is this upsetting? Because I had to go through this with my co-workers and people that didn’t really seem to understand where I was coming from with my decisions regarding my hair. While my hair was relaxed I would cut it every year into a bob, color it, flat iron it and literally  burn the heck out of it but that was considered alright because it all suits me. However the day I revealed my big chop to my friends and co-workers I got comments like, “I prefer you with your hair straightened .” or  “ put in a texturizer to make it look better.”  But what people fail to realize is that changing the way you wear your hair does not change your personality. It is HAIR. Yes, like all changes it will take some getting used to on the part of your friends and for yourself but as you work with it and your confidence grows with your abilities. You will learn to love and appreciate your decision as I did and I am sure so many more have. Just stay blessed and don't let others well meaning comments get you down.

 On a better note. Here was last weeks hair style.
My chunky twist out



Comments

  1. Hi, I know how you feel. Those people who 'dis' natural hair are mentally enslaved. Do you know how many burns I suffered just to have straight hair? I'm 16 years natural and I don't need to change.

    By the way, your hair is FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your post with near tears in my eyes. I know your hurt and feel your pain as I too have felt that stigma. Natural hair is an awesome gift from God and I pity the fools who re too blind and ignorant to see that. Rock on my fellow natural you look GREAT!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts